Sunday, August 17, 2008

SLANERV12 JULY 30, 2008

Monday, I called Van’s and the guy I talked to said that the hinge assembly flush rivet was within tolerance and not to worry. Yes!

I took Alan Gilmore’s advice (http://www.rv12info.com/) and looked for a knife sharpener to use to debur the scalloped edges of the Nose Ribs. 

I could not find a sharpener with the disks that Alan used, but in my search, I found a knife sharpener that advertised that it also deburred sheet metal and plastic. It is the Accusharp Knife and Tool Sharpener (http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(0etn0w55mctut355le2a3345)/productDetails.aspx?SKU=61739).

I used it today on the scalloped edges and the deburring tool that Avery sent for the lightening holes. That went well and I followed up with scotchbrite over all deburred edges.



Now, on to 10-02, step 1: Flute and straighten all of the @1208 Nose Rib flanges. Again, I used the process described by Alan Gilmore (www.rv12info.com/).





Did steps 2, 3 and 4 on page 15-02. Trimmed flanges as per plans, then used scotchbrite wheel to buff.

Completed steps 5-10. Had to spend time figuring out which dimple die to use. Called Vans and the guy there said to use the #8, but that seemed to be way to big. So, studied plans more, took out the rivet and sized it to the die that seemed to fit the best and then proceeded to dimple. (I think it was the 3/32). Then completed all dimpling and put the nut plates in place as per plans. Next I’ll move on to page 15-03 and begin by flutting the main Rib flanges. 

Now I’m off to Cape Lookout so that I get there before Ackley. (He is excited about the prospect of going to Hong Kong as a research assistant. It would be good experience for him and open doors down the road.)
        

No comments: