Monday, September 1, 2008

August 30, 2008 Access hatch, hand hold and wing skin




After sleeping on it, I figured out why the wing walk doubler went on easier than expected. I was supposed to slightly bend the forward edge so that it would be more flush when riveted in place. Danged! After contemplation and re-reading the directions (they say "it may be necessary") I decided to leave it, at least of the time being. If I change my mind later (and drill out more than 100 rivets) I can still access the doubler.

I moved on to the access hatch. The wing was right side up and I had no one to help me flip the wing, so I worked on the floor to install the access hatch. This method took longer than it would have, but it was a productive use of my time and turned out well.

Moving on, I created the hand hold, cleocoed it in place and installed the tip rib and bottom skin. Everything went well and I then installed the skins and wiing tip ribs. It was a bit tricky to get the flutting right so that the fwd wing tip rib matched the skin, but with some trial and error it worked well.

Tomorrow I will bend the tabs for the wing tip close-out (p. 17-06).

No comments: